Can I change the design of my spinning lamp?
Yes! Because the cylinders are interchangeable, simply order a new one from us. You do not need to buy the full Magic Lamp each time, and you can choose from any one of our 70+ spinning lamp designs!
Each cylinder is also available in a variety of colors. Lamp cylinders can be ordered in Blue, Green, Pink, Purple, and Red. Note: availability will vary by lamp.
Does Magic Lamp project images onto walls?
By design Magic Lamp projects spinning images onto the rice paper, but the paper can be removed to allow the images to project onto the walls of your room. You will need to position the lamp close enough to a wall for the images to be visible. If you would like to order a spinning lamp without the rice paper, please add a note to the PayPal order form. Look for the "Add special instructions to merchant" link on the "Review your payment" page.
In the video below we have an example of a Magic Lamp with two rice paper panels removed (the two at the back), and the lamp placed in the corner of a room.
How long will it take for shipping?
Most of the time we can ship your spinning lamp within a few days of receiving your order. If not, we will notify you by email. Please allow 3-12 business days for your Magic Lamp to arrive.
Can I specify a different shipping address?
Yes, if you are buying a Magic Lamp as a gift and would like to ship the lamp to a different address, click the "Change" link below your "Ship to" address within PayPal. If you have purchased more than one item and would like the items shipped to more than one address, please email us.
Can I send a spinning lamp to other countries in Europe (or Asia)?
No. Because Europe and Asia use a different current from North America (an adapter is needed) and because replacement bulbs are not available, we don’t recommend sending your Magic Lamp outside Canada and USA.
Can you add my baby's name or message to my lamp?
Yes. We are happy to add your baby's name or message to any of our lamps for an additional fee. However, some lamps do not have enough room for longer names, so please email us prior to your purchase. Let us know which lamp you are interested in and what name or message you want to add. We will get back to you with options and pricing.
Is it safe to leave the spinning lamp on for a long time?
Yes, it is safe. Magic Lamp uses CSA and UL certified hardware.
We do however recommend that you turn off your Magic Lamp when not in use, as the cellophane may shrink or fade faster from the heat of the bulb.
What if the cylinder stops moving?
1. Check that the lamp is on a flat surface
2. If there is a shelf or other object above the lamp, it may hinder the hot air current going up
3. Make sure the lamp is not near a heating or air conditioning duct
4. The cylinder should not touch the rice paper screen when it spins. If the cylinder is mishapen, try reshaping the cylinder with both hands. Or insert a roll of toilet paper with some fabric around it into the cylinder, and let the cylinder sit until it is round again.
5. The glass part of the cylinder should sit on top of the metal wire, and the metal wire should not touch any other part of the cylinder. If the metal wire is touching any part of the cylinder other than the glass part, the metal wire needs to be reshaped.
What if the cylinder spins too fast?
1. Place a firm sheet of paper across the top of the spinning lamp
2. Replace the existing bulb with a lower wattage bulb (such as a 25W bulb)
What if the rice paper is torn?
Don't panic. Because the Magic Lamp is hand made you should be able to make a repair yourself. If you want to replace the paper, please contact us - we can send you a repair kit and simple instructions on how to make the repair.
What if the bulb burns out?
You can find the same bulb at a hardware store. Just bring the old bulb along and find a match, or show it to one of the hardware store staff for help.
What if the glass part comes off?
You can re-glue it with contact cement or super glue. Choose the one that works for glass and paper.
If you lose the glass top, let us know. We can send you a new one.